Tuesday 7 December 2010

BLUE MOON

Blue moon, you saw me standing alone
Without a dream in my heart, without a love of my own
Blue moon, you knew just what I was there for
You heard me saying a prayer for someone I really could care for
And then suddenly appeared before me, the only one my arms could ever hold
I heard somebody whisper 'please adore me'
But when I looked, that moon had turned to gold - oh oh oh
Blue moon, now I'm no longer alone
Without a dream in my heart, without a love of my own Without a love of my own
(Blue moon)
[Rogers and Hart]



When I was young
And in my prime
I sang and danced
and played with rhyme and gave no thought
to
passing
time.

I thought about the the boys I'd kissed
who'd kissed me back,
Of softly padded fingertips
and how they felt.
I thought in white
I thought in black,
and gave no thought
to
passing
time.

I dreamed a future-technicolour bright
where softly padded fingertips
would put my world to rights
Where every kiss would stop my breath,
Where those I loved would sneer at death
and
swiftly
moving
time.

Now old, the padded finger tips are calloused
and time waits to stop my breath.
But still, a tune, a song can brings back to me
full versed - the magic pulse which once
brought every nerve to life, and...
I remember when, so long ago
I thought I knew in white
I thought I knew in black
but gave no thought
to all the shades between
as I cling
to
fleeing
time.

11 comments:

Maggie May said...

Yikes......! That was beautiful and I'm sure will be meaningful to all of us *oldies*.
Maggie X

Nuts in May

Rosaria Williams said...

We know that feeling!

Saz said...

what beautiful words Mum!

You need a BIG HUG eh?

On my way to you in a few hours, delays probably, allowing for the wrong type of snow, ice on tracks and
any excuse to turn the heating off..

saz x

Woman in a Window said...

Moannie, and so it is with life. You wrote it beautifully. I thought though for a second I was getting into one of my all time favorites, "Now as I was young and easy under the apple boughs About the lilting house and happy as the grass was green, The night above the dingle starry, Time let me hail and climb Golden in the heydays of his eyes,"

Frig, I've always liked me the Dylan Thomas. Just stopped to read it again. Been my favorite since I was about 17. You write a great deal like this, Moannie. IT is in us, isn't it? This joy and celebration, and yet our slow ebbing.

much love, Moannie
xo
erin

Jules~ said...

Dear sweet Moannie, I wish I could hug you right now. You write poetry so beautifully. Honestly, if truth be known, I've never been one to wrap my head around a poem. But this one I completely understand and relate to. I heard it as if you were reading it to me and then other voices joined with yours as time picked away.
(Does that sound strange? If so it really isn't meant to be.)

And the song....the opening words brought the big band to playing in my head. So nice. Gave me a whimsical smile on my face and heart.
Thank you.

God bless you and your day today.

Suldog said...

How amazingly true. Just this morning, on my drive into work, I was listening to a CD of The J. Geils Band (don't know if they ever made any splash over your way...) whom I saw in concert three or four times during my teens. The music put me right back into that teenage frame of mind, and, after the ride, I marveled at how easily I forgot my age while listening.

lime said...

oh moannie, we just have no idea at all when we are young and feel invincible, do we? what a well done piece this is.

Jayne said...

Just found you here, Moannie. What beautiful prose and poetry - you know how to strike a chord. I'll be following...

Hilary said...

So true. We all feel it as time goes by.. sigh!

Merisi said...

Have you ever watch the film "Babe
"Babe the Sheep-Pig" with the
Three Little Mice were singing "Blue Moon"? Makes me smile every time I think of that (click on the link to listen, rather short, unfortunately).

Hugs,
M.

Anonymous said...

Merry Christmas. I loved the poetry.